Friday, September 19, 2008

The Wrestler

From all of the reports I have heard to come out of the Toronto Film Festival, one flick stands above the rest in noteriety and critical acclaim, The Wrestler.

I have been a wrestling fan since I was three years old growing up with my brother, who was obsessed with the avenue. I went to events from the age of ten up until last year.

Every review I read and looked not only acknowledged Mickey Rourke and his ability to go beyond constraints, but to develop a fully realized wrestler. Someone who a regular wrestling fan would see, pity, and long for the glory days within that performer.

Darren Aronofsky created a masterpiece in a genre even he is not completely familiar with, something I think should be applauded. He is a filmmaker who makes films for specific audiences. The Wrestler proves he can take a genre film and turn it into an iconic look at the old school wrestling business.

No comments: