Friday, September 5, 2008

New 90210

Well, the spinoff of 90210 aired Tuesday and received almost 5 million in the ratings. I'm hoping that like with all pilots they did some tweaking afterwords. Except, I think the show was greenlit before the pilot was even produced and then they just went straight into production, so that gives me less hope.

As an avid and admitedly rabid original 90210 fan, my inital reaction to news of the spinoff was lukewarm. When I heard they got Jennie Garth to be a cast member to play Kelly, I was slightly intrigued. Making her a guidance counselor seems more plausible than where the series left off in her starting her own PR firm with no contacts or clients, but the less said about the last few seasons of 90210 the better.

The media, including bloggers like Perez Hilton and Michael K from Dlisted, were clammoring for a return of Shannen Doherty. The buzz about people wanting Shannen back made me positevly giddy, and weary since the chances were nil. Somehow the universes collided and people persuased ShannDo, because I remember letting out a huge squeal at the announcement of the return of Brenda Walsh.

Brenda fucking Walsh, she is an icon in pop culture, in the media because of Shannen's exploits (which I could care less about, she was my age when all that happened and I don't think I could have handled the media and partying well, hell it's hard for me to make class after a night out). She was the bestest character in the 90210 universe, she rocked.

I loved her attitude, her flair for the dramatics, her lonliness in seasons 3 and 4, the way she could verbally bitch slap Kelly. It always bothered me that Brenda would be called by the press in later years the bad girl, because she was never bad. Val was bad, Gina tried to be bad. Brenda was just Brenda. Now Shannen could bring the bitch though, and her looks, and "you know what's" were classic.

It really is no suprise that the show went downhill once Shannen left. I did like seasons 5-7 for the most part, but they weren't the same and once you cut out someone so important to the dynamic it will lose something. Shannen was also the best actress of the bunch, with the best chemistry with a costar. Dylan and Brenda were by far the most popular 90210 couple, the one that fans still talk about.

Onto the new 90210, Brenda rocks, I'm glad her and Kelly are still friends, I liked the Brandon mention. I wish the whole show was Brenda and Kelly, then it would still be on my DVR. I hate the new Pit, it sucks. Jessica Walters was amazing as usual even though she does seem to be playing a Lucille type character. The parents were boring, I wanted Kelly to try and get with the dad instead of being with boring Aunt Becky or bug eyed woman. That little boy of Kelly's should be Steve's, it looks like him and his mom was named Samantha.

The kids: Annie is annoying, they have to tone her down a little bit, she's too good, too blah and irritating. I wanted to like her, and I didn't. I'm thinking they be reversing the roles this season where Annie will be the Brandon, favored child who is a self righteous douche bag and never gets called out on anything while Dixon can play the trouble making, impressionable one.

I love Silver. Love the connection to Kelly, the backstory on Mel and Jackie's upteenth breakup, her sorid past with Naomi, she works. By the way, I like Naomi a lot. The actress looks about five years older than me and we're the same age, but I like the rich bitch with layers. It worked for Kelly Taylor, untill she became a backstabbing beyotch.

No comments: