Monday, November 17, 2008

Where have all the sitcoms gone?


It's crazy for me to think that ten years ago Seinfeld ended its run as arguably the best sitcom ever. At the time, there was still Friends, Frasier, Everybody Loves Raymond, and a slew of other comedies waiting to take the best comedy title. There was also a unique show called Ally McBeal, an hour dramedy that competed in the comedy category in awards shows, that didn't have a laugh track, used dramatic elements but also zany and inventive comedic stunts. It was something new that producers latched onto.

The only widely successful sitcom I can think of that has happened in the years since is Will and Grace. CBS is the only network that still even produces sitcoms. They have been lucky to find solid ratings with Two and a Half Men, but there is no real breakout sitcoms anymore.

When I think of the funniest shows around in the past few years my mind goes to Arrested Development, 30 Rock, The Office, Weeds, even Desperate Housewives.

Is it a change in our generation, the way we view comedy and what we find realistic? Are things like a laugh track and blatant sets too dated for our attention? Or is it just that sitcoms are tired and boring, stale, generic?

I plead my case for what I feel is the last great sitcom still on TV: How I Met Your Mother. It has a very Friends like quality to it, is witty and sharp, and a sitcom. The show doesn't get the buzz or ratings it deserves despite starring Jason Segal of this years hit, Forgetting Sarah Marshall. It also got attention this year for having Britney Spears guest star as a ditzy assistant. The cast and couples have great chemistry, the stories tie in with solid continuity, and it is actually funny.

I implore you readers to give this little show a chance.

2 comments:

Social Media - Fredonia said...

How I met you mother - is one of my favorite shows to watch. I never really thought of it in comparison to the show friends but now that you have brought it up I can surely see it. How I met you mother's cast I feel is one of the best on TV. I mean come on...a little NPH is never a bad thing! He was funny in Harold and Kumar go to White Castle and hes funny in this!

Althought, lol I just recently found out he was gay...not that that makes a different but his character in the show is a complete 180 of who he really is. He pretty much plays the scotch drinking, slut of a man who does nothing but throw out hilarious one liners and sleep with every women in site...so I guess finding out hes actually gay in real life makes me like his character even more!

Meghan Sherman said...

I miss the days when sitcoms ruled. I can't stand all of the reality TV that is out there now. It just seems (as ironic as it may sound) fake to me. I prefer a scripted show to one that is just pure drama and ridiculousness.

I don't get to watch much TV, but when I do, I would rather watch The Office, House and other scripted shows over any reality show out there.