Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Guilty Pleasure Movies


Since the flu season is upon us, mono is upon me, and we are in store for some serious rainy and snowy days, this is the perfect time to snuggle up with some guilty pleasures. Whether its a book or movies or TV shows, we all have our little addictions that keep up staying inside on these frigid days.

My book guilty pleasures: It doesn't get more guilty than the Twilight series. With the movie coming out friday, I'm brushing up this week with the original. I came upon these book over the summer before the final installment was released and read all four in a week and a half. They are so cheesy, the writing can be laughable at times, but it is like my literary crack. What makes the experience even better is that it is a cultural phenomenon and I have atleast six people I can name off the top of my head who are just as obsessed as me to talk about it with, including my mother, who I got into the books despite her hating sci-fi genres. This is also a women who devours every Danielle Steel book ever made so I knew it was right up her alley.

Other literary guilty pleasures: Valley of the Dolls, one of my favorite books that I will defend against anyone who only knows about the cheestastic flick. I also love celeb autobiographies. Sure they are slanted, and who knows if we are getting the real story, but I love them. Tori Spelling's book rocked my world because of my 90210 obsession. I really want to read Maureen McCormic's book cause I just really want to know about Marcia Brady being a cokehead. And on my list of books to read asap is comedian Chelsea Handler's best selling book, Are you there vodka? It's me Chelsea. With a title like that, how could a pop culture addict stay away?

When it comes to flicks, I like classic cheesy movies. Now I'm not talking about flicks like Ghost or Steel Magnolias or Batman or Clueless. I've seen these on lists before, and I wear these movies as a badge of honor of films I could watch again and again.

For me, I'm thinking things I'm ashamed to say I like. Think Grease 2. I still know all the words to the songs like Cool Rider and Reproduction. Or Wayne's World. Or Tommy Boy. Others like Clue, Naked Gun, Hot Shots Part Deux, and most Police Academy Movies.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sometimes embarassed to admit this as well.. but my guilty pleasure books are totally the twilight series too. I spent my entire summer making fun of those books at the pool I lifeguard at. C'mon-a vampire love story? I was reading the kite runner when some of the girls at my pool were reading this series, it just didn't seem up my alley. Then I came back to Fredonia and every person I know seemed to be obsessing over these books! So one weekend I saw it in the bookstore and was like eh, fine. I'll read it. WORST MISTAKE! I'm so addicted to these books and I don't even have time to read them with all my schoolwork! I made myself finish book 3 before I saw the movie though (which I also put up in my AIM away message as saying I admit it, I am going to see Twilight!)

I didn't even realize how cheesy the writing was until I was watching the movie and just kept saying to myself, "this is what I'm obsessed with reading lately?! Really?!"

It's the newest craze though, pop culture phenomenon at its finest! You totally hit the mark with the book. Good Job!

Anonymous said...

Tommy Boy is my guilty pleasure.

Chris Farly will forever be one of the best comedians, and there's just something about seeing a fat guy in a little coat!